Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover


Ugly Love


By Colleen Hoover
Published by: Atria Books
August 5, 2014
Kindle Edition
336 pages
New Adult

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn’t think it’s love at first sight.  They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends.  The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set up.  He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex.  Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.

Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all. 

Hearts get infiltrated.

Promises get broken.

Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago, this addiction to reading began for me.  My friend's daughter was reading The Hunger Games and she said "You have to read these, they are so good!"  So I did, then a different friend suggested I read Fifty Shades of Grey.  I read them in a week...so the search began to find something to new to read. (I know, weird jump from Hunger Games to Fifty Shades). I read a few books but nothing caught my attention, then I ran into my son's kindergarten teacher in the summer at the library and she suggested I read this new book by Colleen Hoover, Slammed.  I read it in 2 days, then I read Point of Retreat...then I waited for the next book to be release by Colleen.  Back then I was borrowing my sister's Nook, but on Christmas Day 2012 my family bought me a Kindle...my first book purchased on my new Kindle was Colleen Hoover's Hopeless.  That book is my #1 all time favorite book. BUT...Ugly Love may have finally unseated Hopeless in the #1 spot.

Upon receiving the ARC, after a few minutes of crying, jumping up and down and screaming "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD", I began to read! I didn't stop but to sleep for a few hours and that darn pesky job of mine made me put my book down, but once I returned home, my family was well aware as to what Mom would be doing.

You begin the book and are met with a scene like no other.  Tate is staying with her brother Corbin and when she gets to his apartment there is a very, drunk man in front of the door.  We learn that this man is none other than Corbin's good friend, coworker and neighbor, Miles Archer. Tate helps Miles into the apartment and is met with a rather uncomfortable situation.  A really drunk and crying Miles. In the morning, Tate is woken by a not so nice Miles.  Not a good start for these two.

As the story continues, Tate isn't too fond of Miles but the attraction between Tate and Miles is tangible. How can it be tangible when I am just reading a book?  Well, somehow, Colleen Hoover is a mad genius and you can actually, literally feel the pull between these two people, not characters, but real, live people.

I remember when I met my husband, 20+ years ago, he would come to pick me up and I would get flutters in my stomach, when Miles would see Tate or talk to Tate, I felt those flutters, for her.  Miles has made no promises to Tate and she tries to keep the relationship on the casual side, but I fell in love with him just reading the book, she was actually with him...how could she not?

Miles's inability to admit what he was feeling for Tate throughout the book made me continue to read on. Why won't he allow himself to love? What in his past could have made someone so afraid  love?

Miles -  "If I were capable of loving someone...it would be you."..."But I am not capable. So if it's too hard-"

Tate - "It's not," I interrupt, doing whatever I can to stop him from ending this. I somehow find it in me to look him in the eyes and tell the best lie I've ever told in my entire life. "I like things exactly how they are."
While reading this book, I cried, I smiled and I even blushed a few time.  Colleen has written a book that made me blush...you remember, the girl who read all three Fifty Shades of Grey in a week.  I like a little smut now and then, but this book is not smut! This book is an amazing story with some steamy hotness between Mile and Tate that will get you fanning yourself to cool down.

I finished this book with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye.  Colleen Hoover has once again amazed me with her brilliant writing, her ability to make me fall in love with her characters and to make me laugh and cry while reading book.

So I guess the wait begins for me...so it's only 7 months and 2 days til the next Colleen Hoover book is released, but who's counting?

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I look forward to hearing your thoughts either on the book or my review or whatever is posted. Thanks!

(I read all my comments and will comment back whether it be on here or your blog)