Sunday, August 8, 2010

Book Review of the Week(1)

THIS WEEK'S (8/8/10-8/14/10) BOOK REVIEW OF THE WEEK HAS BEEN CHOSEN:
I had quite a few submissions but don't worry for those of you who entered and it was not chosen it will be kept for the next week.
THE WINNER OF THIS WEEK'S REVIEW IS......
JULIE CARLSON from
Below this is a sneak peek at her review and why she chose to nominate it. Click read more to read the rest of the review.
You can nominate either your book review or somebody else's review.

RULES:
  • All nominations must be turned in by midnight Friday night pacific time.
  • If you are nominating someone else's blog please inform them and suggest if they are not already following me that they follow me so that way they will know if their review was chosen.
  • Please do not nominate a book review that has already won. Be sure to check out the BRotW page for a list of all previous winners*
  • You must fill out this FORM.
  • The winner will be chosen by random.org
  • It does not have to be a new book review. It can be one you read/wrote a while ago that you think deserves recognition.
AND NOW THIS WEEK'S REVIEW WINNER:
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl



Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: December 2009
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 563
Age Group: YA
Source: Bookstore

It's taken me a couple of weeks to read the New York Times Bestseller BEAUTIFUL CREATURES by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. At 563 pages, it's a whopper of book. I had no idea what kind of story was in store for me when I began to read BEAUTIFUL CREATURES. I'd read some major buzz about the book, but I didn't want to cloud my reading enjoyment or judgment before I cracked open the spine. Before I give my review, I'm going to go back in time a little bit, so bear with me.

Last August, I was at a local independent bookstore checking out a few books I'd wanted to read. A woman was at the counter making a purchase. Next to her, on the counter,was a bookmark for BEAUTIFUL CREATURES. As I picked it up, the woman turned to me and said: "That's the best book I've ever read. If you pick one book to read this year, pick that one, but unfortunately it doesn't come out until December."

I was intrigued. Was she one of the authors? I went home to find out more information about BEAUTIFUL CREATURES on the web. The woman was not Kami Garcia or Margaret Stohl, but maybe she was a book reviewer or a writer who'd received an advanced copy. Either way, I decided to take her advice. I dutifully purchased the book in December, but ended up putting it aside with my other books. I just wasn't in the reading mode.............READ MORE

WHY WAS IT NOMINATED:

"I really loved Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, which I believe shows in my review. I feel the book was very strong in substance, particularly showing the politically charged and historical South, and discrimination. It mirrored To Kill a Mockingbird and has a fantastic narrative voice in Ethan Wade. It's my best review so far. I'm looking forward to reading Beautiful Darkness. And Kami Garcia re-tweeted my review to her followers!"-Julie Carlson

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I've only won like one thing in my entire life. This really made my day. Yay!! Can I post about it on my blog?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I look forward to hearing your thoughts either on the book or my review or whatever is posted. Thanks!

(I read all my comments and will comment back whether it be on here or your blog)