Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

EXTRAORDINARY by Nancy Werlin
ARC Paperback, 392 pages
Dial Books
Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated
September 2010

What does it mean to be extraordinary?
Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school. Soon the two girls are as close as sisters. . . until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, appears. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe--but dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about he best friend and, worse, about herself.
Soon she'll discover the shocking, fantastical truth about Ryland and Mallory, and about an age-old debt they expect Phoebe to pay.
Will she be strong enough to resist? Will she be special enough to save herself?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

When I read what this book was about I thought it being about faeries and the story line would intrigue me. However, I should state I am not big on fairy books. The thing that caught my attention about this book was what it was about.

After reading the first Faerie Queen conversation and chapter I could tell this was going to be like all other faerie books and not really have my attention. I had the hardest time actually wanting to read this book. The only reason I made it through the book is because towards the end I was drawn in.

I did love how after a few chapters or so they would have conversations that Ryland and Mallory were having with the Faerie Queen. It was like they were showing us the behind the scenes of the story. I found that as a very successful approach. That alone was one thing I wish more books would do. Well, books that deal with people keeping a secret or doing secretive things for a secret "being" they are.

Overall, it is not like every other faerie book out there but it still showed me that for whatever reason I just do not get into faerie books. If you do like books dealing with faeries I truly suggest you read this. You would love it. It does sort of have the "forbidden love" going with Ryland and Phoebe if you can consider it that. But to know what I mean by that you'll just have to read it.



3 comments:

  1. It's funny how many books I'm not that into until the end sucks me in.
    I wouldn't have guessed this is a faery book from the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seent this book but never knew what it was about. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH. I want to read this so bad!

    ashleysbookshelf[@]gmail[.]com

    Also don't forget to check out my amazing giveaways located at the top of my blog posts.

    Ashley's Bookshelf

    P.S. I sell complete blog layouts made by me thru blogger template. If you would be interested in one please email for the prices and I would be extremely thrilled to assist you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I look forward to hearing your thoughts either on the book or my review or whatever is posted. Thanks!

(I read all my comments and will comment back whether it be on here or your blog)