Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Two*Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

Two*Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Paperback, 304 pages
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
June 2007

There are two sides to every breakup.
This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But the clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.

Then Jordan dumps Courtney-for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heart-broken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la-this is Courtney pretending not to care.

But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.

Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.
------------------------------------------------
WOW! This book is really a great book. If you are someone who liked Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles or Take Me There by Carolee Dean then you would definitely like this book.

First it is written like both of those books combined. By this I mean, you get to be inside both Courtney and Jordan's heads in the alternating chapter that Perfect Chemistry did. Then you get to be in the present tense, so the breakup has already happened, yet flash back to how everything began like Take Me There did in the alternating chapter way.

I was drawn into this book after the first few pages. The fact that is starts off with them already being broken up is really a strange attention getter. By the end of the second chapter, or first Jordan's view, I didn't want to stop reading. By that time you already learn that Jordan is hiding something-you know what this something is but I won't say it.

I will admit that about, oh, 40 pages into the book I had a good idea as to why they really broke-up but, I was still wanting to continue. The way the story is you just can't help but not continue.

I will say that if you are someone who has a HUGE problem with the F-word then you may not want to read this book. Let's just say Jordan and his friend, B.J., use that word a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this book cover somewhere... It's so pretty :) I liked the synopsis!

    And... I don't have a problema with the F-word, sooo... haha.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I look forward to hearing your thoughts either on the book or my review or whatever is posted. Thanks!

(I read all my comments and will comment back whether it be on here or your blog)