Saturday, February 22, 2014

Trifecta by Kim Carmichael

Trifecta by Kim Carmichael
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
June 27, 2013
PDF edition
Estimated 331 pages
Contemporary Romace

Two men. One woman. It could ruin a friendship, or bring a satisfying twist to their lives. Artist, Jason Morgan, is used to making magic on the canvas. Now he hopes to do it in the bedroom. After a failed gallery showing, Jason decides the best way to cure his creative block is to act on his own personal fantasy, and enter into a sexual relationship with his two best friends. From the time they were in elementary school, Russell Sinclair has been a willing participant in Jason's adventures, but this one goes to a new level. He's intrigued by the idea of sharing one woman, but is challenged by how to fit this three-sided relationship into his traditional life. Lauren Redmond is no stranger to fantasy. As the aesthetic sales rep to the top Beverly Hills dermatologists, she is responsible for the majority of puffed lips and filled wrinkles in the greater Los Angeles area. She detours from her steady, secure path when she is offered the opportunity to live the dream with the two men who have occupied her heart since college. The fantasy fast becomes a powerful reality, and Lauren must decide if she is willing to give up everything she has worked for to have a bit of temporary decadence. Trifecta explores the boundaries of love, relationships and convention.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


             This definitely was not a typical romance story or even a love triangle. Kim took the aspect of 3 people and love and gave it a twist I have never come across before. I often find romance novels take the fantasy part of a romance and stick to that however, Kim brought some realization to the fantasy world. By this I mean, there was first scene of the 3 of them engaging in sexual behavior. Lauren, didn't know what was going because the guys didn't get the chance to inform her of their plans and they just went for it. I really loved the fact that through Lauren's mind you see and read her self doubt. You see she is questioning what they are doing; to me that is real. That is something I could see happening in real life. Which is something I don't see often in novels. 


      It did take a bit for me to get into this novel. That was for multiple reasons. One being my tablet stopped working so I had to take it to my phone to read which PDF form and my phone are not friends for. So I just used my phones ebook converter app to get it to mobi format to be able to read on my phone. The second reason being it did have a weird start to it. When I started reading the introduction got me questioning if it was a romance novel or a thriller. I am not to keen to thriller novels so then when it turned and twisted itself to a traditional romance novel it had my attention. Which made me love this novel a little bit more. It was, in my opinion, a nice little curveball. 


            I really loved that you could identify with all 3 characters in one way or another. Let's start with Lauren, she has that sassy yet emotional personality. She has a strong head on her shoulder and whatever she seemed to have in her mind happened. She may doubt things at times like how I referred to the first sexual scene but in reality who doesn't doubt themselves at one time or another. Now we have Jason, the struggling artist who took a critiquing to hard. Jason most definitely tends to doubt himself, his work and his own person. He is the one who guides Russell. I know for myself that I tend to doubt my work and myself at times. Russell was the one who confused yet serious and in tune with life. Let's face it, everyone gets confused about life. He followed Jason's lead most of his life so why not now? I loved how in tune he was with life. He was the one who brought the three of them together to make them complete- personality wise. It was nice to be able to identify with a characteristic or more in each character, made the novel more personal.


              When it came to the sexual nature, it showed this wasn't going to be just erotic novel. It had it's sex scene's but it also showed there is so much more to a relationship then sex. Especially, a relationship involving 3 people who have known each other all their lives. The sexual scenes that were there were definitely "sexy hot" scenes. They really had it down in their comfort zone, the bedroom, and you got to see them struggle a bit outside of their comfort zone. I feel they only struggled because of one of the big keys to all relationships- communication. It came off as if they were relying on each other to know what was next, but nobody knew who was the person to know that.


                   All in all, I truly enjoyed in this book once I got into it and got use to the M/F/M aspect. There wasn't much I didn't like about it or that would want me to give this a low rating. 


RATING: 4/5

3 comments:

Leave a comment! I look forward to hearing your thoughts either on the book or my review or whatever is posted. Thanks!

(I read all my comments and will comment back whether it be on here or your blog)